Web Design Vs Website Templates: Which One You Should Choose?
As a business owner you are always looking how to save money and make your business profitable. When it comes to creating an online presence for your business, just like your marketing materials and office’s appearance, your website needs to project a professional image. The more professional looking your business appears, the more creditable it looks.
Many business owners don’t really understand the difference between having a custom web design done and using website templates. In this article we’ll look at both ways of having your website built and the costs involved.
“Why would I pay a web developer to build a custom website for me when I can buy a website template?”
Before we answer that question, it is important for you to understand the pros and cons of both custom web design and website template.
This article will provide you with a comparison that will make it easier for you to choose what is best for your business.
1. Custom Web Design
Advantages of Custom Web Design
- Unique design.The biggest advantage of getting a custom web design is that it will make your website stand out from the crowd and give you a competitive edge over your competitors, which is very important in today’s saturated web environment.
- By hiring the right web designer, it will be constructed so it is search engine friendly.How the background coding of your website is done will influence your success in the search engines.
- The website will be more adaptable to your company’s needs.If you have done your website planning, you will have a list of features you wish to have. By prioritizing this list of website features, you will give the web designer an idea of what to accommodate for in the future if your current budget doesn’t allow all the features to be implemented from the start.
- Scalability.Just like adaptability, if you have planned what you want in the future for your website, a good web designer will take this into consideration as they select the technologies to use while building the website.
Disadvantages of Custom Web Design
A custom web design will put a bigger dent in your pocket than a website template so you will have to pay more to get a custom web design. Secondly, it takes longer to create a custom design as compared to a website template. Due to the complex and time consuming process of custom web design, there are chances that your website project will be subject to delays.
2. Website Templates
Advantages of Website Templates
- Unlike a custom designed website, a website template has a shorter development cycle. Another benefit of using a website template is that it cost less so if you have a low budget, you can still get a website template.
- Getting inspiration on colours, layouts and features.You cannot have your web designer copy these, but they do give the web designer an idea of the look you would like.
- Moreover, the additional benefit of a content management system (CMS) makes it easier for the business to keep the website updated from anywhere.
Disadvantages of Website Templates
With website templates being easily available online, there are chances that your competitors and other businesses are also using the same website template that you are using.